Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The US MNT New 2014 Home Jersey

Hi! We’re the Red, White and Blues Brothers and this is our color-coded U.S. Soccer blog. Chip writes in red and Danny writes in blue. We cheer for the U.S. and you better too! 

Hey Danny... did you see any golf courses in Brazil when we toured there in 2011?
No Chip, Can't say that I remember seeing any.
Is there some sort of new trend I am unaware of? Did Nike have Tiger design our jerseys? I am guessing they do owe him some money, so maybe they are getting the most out of it? So many questions and so little time for the God Awful jersey designed for the USMNT. 
Wait, are you saying you think that our new jersey looks like a golf shirt?
That's exactly what I'm saying!
I was thinking tennis. But yeah, tennis or golf, but definitely not soccer.
Do they have to wear ties now? I know England teams have recently gone to some folded collar shirts. BUT that doesn't mean WE have to follow that trend! AND, 3 buttons in front that go down to the mid chest? Are they supposed to show some chest hair now to prove they are men? Why Nike Why?!! 
Actually Chip, I believe it's only 2 buttons.

 Here's a Nike Tennis Shirt

 Here's a Nike Golf Shirt


And here's our new 2014 US MNT World Cup home soccer jersey. 


Yeah, they're pretty much all the same!
Even the players aren't thrilled with it. Here's all our captain, Clint Dempsey said about it in his quote: “It’s always an honor to wear the colors of your country, and this summer we will be hard to miss in an all-white look. We will be traveling all over Brazil, and playing in a lot of different conditions, so the innovative Nike designs will serve us well.”

"We will be hard to miss in an all-white look." Yeah, you'll be hard to miss, as in we'll have the most boring and embarrassing jersey in the entire World Cup Tournament!

Although the online petition is now closed, take a look at what some of our awesome fans who feel the same did... 

Yeah, I don't think we'll be making any top 100 jersey lists and some of the top 100 jerseys of 2012/2013 have folded collars, but I don't like it! Some are somewhat respectable, but in my mind there is no room for folded collars in soccer!

Here's my take on the folded collar shirts:
#10 Liverpool... Bleck! And I like Liverpool on the whole.
#17 Valencia... not God Awful, but not great either.
#23 AC Milan... so so, I could live with it... but why do we have to??
#36 Lyon home jersey... I say let's switch to Adidas! All Day I Dream About SOCCER! 
#44 Bayern Munich... Simple, classic with a little flash.. even without much color!
#68 Chivas... I still don't like the collar much, but adidas still gets it mostly right with a collar!! 

There are so many more to discuss... Hopefully our team plays better than they will look!!

For me, it's not the collar. I actually don't mind the collar so much- it's about how unbelievable boring they are! But, they are using state of the art technology, so the function of the shirt I'm sure is a first class product and they're somewhat environmentally conscious using recycled plastic bottles. The fabric is 96% recycled polyester. I'm not sure how the cotton growers of America feel about that, but I'm guessing they're not thrilled.  There are some intricate design elements that I'm sure won't be able to be picked up on TV or from the stands. The pin stripes are too subtle, the 13 white stars on the blue field will be rubbing against the back of the player's neck and if you look at the name and number really close under UV light a tiny design features the words, "One Nation, One Team". I guess only the fans who fork over the $150 for their very own boring jersey will get to appreciate that.

Here's a look at some of the jerseys we will be competing against this summer…

Here are some of my favorites:
Croatia's Checkerboard
Cameroon's print
Mexico's lightning bolts
Mexico's Red Charlie Brown away jersey
Germany's Hoop design away jersey

Colombia's diagonal stripes jersey

Until next time… GO USA!


No comments:

Post a Comment